If you’ve been following health trends, you’re well aware of one of the star players: kale. We know you’ve heard that getting your daily dose of greens is integral to a “healthy diet,” but this leafy green offers so many benefits making it a true power source.
Like most greens, kale is very low in calories, high in fiber, and has zero fat. While that may be good enough for some, we wanted to share all of the other lesser known perks kale can bring to your health.
Did you know…
- Kale is known for its high levels of antioxidants. It is loaded with carotenoids and flavonoids which help protect us from various cancers, support our heart, and keep our eyesight in tip-top shape.
- Kale supports cardiovascular health. Research has shown that eating more kale can actually lower your cholesterol levels.
- Kale is a great anti-inflammatory Kale has omega-3 fatty acids which have been proven to help fight against autoimmune disorders, asthma, and arthritis.
- Kale is surprisingly high in calcium. If we are talking calorie per calorie, kale has more calcium than milk. For ladies, this is especially important news as increased calcium can help prevent osteoporosis. And if you still needed convincing, calcium also helps maintain a healthy metabolism and supports joint health.
- Kale is a great detox Because kale has such a high fiber index, it is ideal when you’re looking for a flush to your system. The natural boost from the fiber will rid the body of any lingering toxins and keep your liver healthy and strong.
Now you’re totally up to date on all the ways kale can benefit you. With all of these facts you may already be brainstorming all the different ways to incorporate kale into your daily diet. Luckily, this versatile leaf can be prepared a number of ways, serving as the star ingredient, a yummy side, or a simple base.
All of the meals curated at DEFINE foods use ingredients intended to help you become your best self. For this very reason, we use kale as the base of two of our salads: Kale + Watermelon Radish Salad with Chive Vinaigrette and the Kale + Quinoa Salad with Citrus Tahini Dressing. Simply having a base of nearly 3 cups of kale provides your body with nutrients, vitamins, and fiber to keep you feeling strong, healthy, and satisfied. And if that’s just the base, imagine what other benefits you must be reaping from the rest of the ingredients…
Enjoy all of the benefits kale can offer with our ‘Week of Salads’ Meal Subscription. This featured option gives you five salads for each day of the week making weekday lunches a no-brainer. Say hello to stocked fridges, full bellies, and all the kale your body needs.