As we swap New Year well-wishes, we’re posed with the inevitable follow-up question, “so, what are your New Year resolutions?” Maybe, you love this question… or maybe, you don’t. For some of us, the sense of describing our upcoming goals and aspirations can help us feel motivated and accountable. For others, talking about personal life changes and possible transformations might call for a little more privacy. Regardless, the beginning of a new year sets a great opportunity to assess what you’re seeking from 2019 and at DEFINE foods, we’re here to help.
Promoting health and wellness is something we love here at DEFINE foods. Though we try to make it a priority year-round, we’re very aware of the extra emphasis put on “bettering the self” during the beginning months of a new year. When researching what are the most “common New Year’s resolutions,” the findings backed what we already knew:
- Diet or eat healthier
- Exercise more
- Lose weight
- Save more and spend less
- Learn a new skill or hobby
- Quit smoking
- Read more
- Find another job
- Drink less alcohol
- Spend more time with family and friends
When comparing your own personal list of aspirations with the above, you may find some overlap, and that’s totally normal. Nearly 70% of the participants in the study confirmed “eating healthier” was their top goal. We want to make your goals a reality, and when it comes to eating right and self-care, we’ve got you covered.
Set SMART Goals
In order to really succeed when trying to accomplish our New Year’s Resolutions, it’s necessary that we get real about our goals. When reviewing your list, go through and make sure each item can be categorized by the following:
- Specific: Be very clear about what you’re looking to do, otherwise you may lose focus. Ask yourself, “what do I want to accomplish with this goal?” and “why is this important to me?”
- Measurable: We LOVE to see ourselves succeed. Small successes happen along the way of reaching our ultimate destination, so tracking our progress can be highly beneficial. Set goals that allow you to track your success, as this will keep you motivated.
- Achievable: Make sure your goals are actually possible. Creating a detailed game plan of how you plan to accomplish the goal can be very helpful when deciding whether or not it’s realistic.
- Relevant: Sometimes when setting goals, you have to look at the larger picture. We feel more inspired to meet goals when they pertain to where we are and where we’re hoping to go. Ask yourself, “is this goal worthwhile?” and “is this the right time?” to decide if it’s worth pursuing in 2019.
- Time Bound: Set a target date of when you want to cross the goal off as “complete.” This end time will give you a greater sense of purpose and motivation throughout the process.
Goals We Love
Now that you have the tools for success, we wanted to share a few of our favorite health-inspired goals for 2019:
- Trying New Experiences for Expanded Mindset: This could be anything from a new workout class to signing up for an interesting workshop. At DEFINE foods, we’re always providing opportunities to expand your mind and palette. Our upcoming workshop will explore how organizing your kitchen may spark joy and inspire you to enjoy weekday dinners.
- One New Meal a Week: Eating a variety of foods is essential for overall health. It increases immunity, enhances the gut microbiome, and it allows for a lot of creativity in the kitchen! If cooking isn’t your thing, but you want to benefit from eating seasonal meals, try any of our pre-prepared salads.
- Snacking Mindfully: When we’re rushed and constantly on the go, our food choices may begin to suffer. What’s convenient isn’t always healthy, so we want to change that. From Spirulina Popcorn, to plant-based protein YES bars, we offer a variety of grab-and-go snacks that are deliciously satisfying and keep you on track with your goals.
- Slowing Down: Maybe it was the frenzy of the holiday season, but we’re ready for more “scheduled down time.” Being mindful about our rest can make us navigate the busier times with more grace and ease. Our favorite ways to relax and unwind is with a great book, face-mask, and a cup of warm, herbal tea.
- Less Screens, More Faces: Lastly, we want to take this year to fully appreciate the present moment and by doing so, we’re making the conscious effort to limit our screen time. Examples include enjoying a family dinner with the TV off, or switching our phones off when meeting up with friends.
At DEFINE foods, our goals for this year are all about seeking connection, engagement, and joy. We want you to feel excited and motivated to tackle your own list of resolutions, and hopefully, we can provide the tools necessary to do so.